Juicy Lucy Oven Baked Wings and the Return of a Cricket Fan!


So, that’s day two of “use up all the chicken” mission and more importantly, it’s the ICC World Twenty20 semi-finals – India Vs West Indies!



I come from a family that has been living and breathing cricket for almost three generations. I remember my grandfather to be a superstitious fan, who would wear a particular colour or dress for his team to win. My grandmother on the other hand used to close down kitchen completely after breakfast, because those days’ matches mostly happened in the morning. I have uncles/aunts who wouldn’t give it a second thought to bunk office for the love of match and I have cousins who think their understanding about the game is far superior to the players themselves, or so they believe as they engage in ball to ball analysis and commentary from living room! Surrounded by so much passion for something, it was hard for me not to catch the fan-fever and yes, I also have to my credit a little of all these and more, including a massive bloodshed, which I sustained while watching a match… wait for it… “on TV”! Oh yeah!


But that was only until the menace of match-fixing crept in. Then for years together I kept myself away from the game and as fate would have it, I got married to someone who can sure outdo my entire family when it comes to cricket fanaticism! Although our entertainment room never ceased to play the match, my comeback happened another 8 years or so after marriage that is just a month ago during ICC World Twenty20 2016. Team India showcased some extremely dramatic and entertaining wins and oh boy, did I sense the dormant genes coming alive once again!


But then, it had a tragic ending! Well, for a comeback fan is there a tragedy worse than sitting through an almost winning match that the team lost due to two no balls and freaking luck that the opponent displayed? A near-win always carries with it more pain than a predicted loss and yes, I am heartbroken. But then this time, I continue to pledge my support to team India - Jeetega bhai jeetega Hindustan jeetega!





Like super bowl is to America, we Indians love watching nail biting (or rather nail chewing) neck-to-neck cricket matches surrounded by friends and good food. And when it comes to finger foods can it get any better than some juicy baked chicken wings? Now, lazy bums like me make those wings a complete meal by adding some salad by the side and that’s exactly what I did on the match day. A kick-ass finger food to complement a kick-ass match! 


Did I tell I was preparing for this match day and already tried a round of oven baked chicken last week? Yes and it did come out well, but this version wins hands down! The only thing I changed here is the sauce; so it’s fair to say that the sauce made all the difference in this recipe. So, if it’s the base that makes or breaks a pizza, in chicken wings it’s the sauce. 


I say it’s so mmm mmm good and he says, taking his first bite and rolling his eyes, as if they would pop out, “mmm… these are so much better than what we had the other day at the restaurant”.




 

YOU NEED:


Chicken wings, 8-10, cleaned, skin removed (I DO NOT like chicken with skin on) 


For the sauce – 


Salted butter, 2 tbsp (you could use unsalted butter too)


Sugar, 4-6 tbsp


Apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup (you could substitute this with red wine)


Soy sauce, ¼ cup


Fresh lemon juice, 2 tbsp


Mustard sauce, 1 tbsp


Homemade hot sauce, 2 tbsp (I added about 2 tbsp of tomato puree along with a tsp or two of red chilli flakes and freshly crushed pepper)


Salt to taste


Freshly ground black pepper, ¼ tsp 


Garlic powder, 2 tsp




HOW TO:


Marinate the chicken pieces with some salt and crushed pepper. 


Heat butter in a pan and when it melts add sugar and the rest of the ingredients one by one. In medium heat, stir occasionally while the sugar melts and the sauce bubbles. Switch off when the sauce thickens slightly. 


Now, line a baking tray with aluminium foil and grease it slightly with oil. Dip the wings one by one in the sauce to coat it nicely on all sides. Place the wings on the tray. Pop it in the oven and bake it at 200 degree Celsius for 25 minutes.


Once done, brush more sauce over the wings, evenly on all sides and pop it again in the oven for 14-15 minutes.


That’s it, once ready to serve and if you have some more sauce left, pour it over the wings and pop it in for another 5-7 minutes.


Serve warm and enjoy the juicy lucy bites!

Comments

Popular Posts