Rainbow Cake – A Dream Come True

They say, “there’s no love like self love” and that’s something I started doing this new year; otherwise there’s no freaking way I would spend hours making this cake for my own birthday!




So my last post was timestamped almost two months ago or could it be that my rum cake made the New Year a lot merrier than I thought it would? Anyhow, looking at those amazing baking blogs, here’s one thing I have realized – that I am one hell of a shammer! Well, I’ve definitely been baking and experimenting, but it seems like I lost grip of blogging somewhere. Meanwhile, I joined Zumba, enjoyed great family time, focussed on work and all that. But, then I realized, if you miss something so dearly why delay getting back to it – so this morning I woke up all determined to get back to blogging. I intent to start with a few posts that I almost decided to shove back and then take it slowly from there. 


If you ask me what is/was the first milestone I achieved as a home baker then it has to be this! Baking a rainbow cake with 6 layers has been my dream and it looks like I did that. This definitely was not a perfect try; I lacked a few tools and skills, which made it a real tough, back-breaking job, but then, all is well that ends well and I had a perfect cake to cut on January 6th this year!




Recipe: 


I am thankful to a dear friend of mine (Parvathy) who pumped in enough confidence so that I could try this. She herself is an awesome baker and made the rainbow cake for her handsome son’s first birthday. She introduced me to the YouTube channel of CupcakeJemma from where this recipe is taken. So, if you are in for it and wish to create something as magical as the colours of rainbow, follow the recipe here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGxza7LCEY



My Two Cents: 


Now, I doubt if I would try this again for another birthday of mine, but this will surely re-visit our lives in important occasions such as his birthday, anniversary and so on. Why because, special days demand special effort :-)


I halved the recipe because I did not have bigger pan; if you do not have a bigger pan and do not half the recipe then you may end up with 2 rainbow cakes. 


I halved the icing too and adjusted sugar according to taste. I used liquid food colours, because gel ones come pretty expensive (at least here in India). 


There is much wastage in this cake and you got to trim it precisely well, otherwise you will end up with a “leaning tower of Pisa” kind of a cake. If you are worried about wastage as I was, 


-          While trimming the cake, DO NOT slice off too much, but keep it to minimum


-          Use the crumbs for decoration; the bottom part of my cake is decorated with it


-          Use the cake crumbs to make cake pops covered in chocolate


-          Or just google and you will see ways to creatively make use of cake crumbs


Locking the crumbs with crumb coating is very important and DO NOT skip that step; because you are dealing with 6 bright colours and your icing is WHITE! 


Set aside at least 2-3 hours to make this cake, because, home bakers like me may not have an oven that can bake all 6 layers at one go. I did two at a time. And if you are a perfectionist and a novice, you can spend hours perfecting the icing on the cake! 


So, that’s about it. I strongly recommend that you try this and happy baking!  

Comments

Popular Posts