My 3 F Cheddar Cheese And Crushed Pepper Scones…


Again, this was a week that demanded an epic ending and what better way than baking a week full of stress away! Work was literally getting piled up the whole week; I would be there in front of the laptop at the crack of dawn and I would still be at it when he’s back home. Even then next day I would still be making a list of pending tasks. Days are supposed to get shorter during winters, but to me it felt just the opposite. By Wednesday I was both drained and excited, thinking it was already Friday (usually this feeling comes on Thursdays), and I once again wanted to murder the week. Finally, today when I wrapped up my work, the joy I felt called for a celebration. Nothing other than baking would have given it the ending it deserved and thus… the SCONES…



It has been a couple of months since I last baked scones (well, that was the first try too) and then I bookmarked this recipe, because, I love cheese and I love scones too. He has also been very keen on seeing scones back again in the snack box ever since and it never felt right until today to try these again.


My 3F a.k.a fluffy, flaky and flavourful scones with cheddar cheese and crushed peppercorns! Yes, think of something in the line of those crispy flaky cheese biscuits and in addition, a hint of peppercorns and smoked paprika. These are definitely more airy, flavourful and richer, and make uber good savoury snacks. I had about 3 of these around late evening and conveniently skipped my dinner!



Well, he isn’t around tonight and so, I am planning to plate these for breakfast tomorrow; with turkey ham, butter and jam??? I’m drooling already! This is a recipe you would sure want to save forever; loosely adapted from here.



 YOU NEED:


All-purpose flour, 2 cups

Baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp

Baking soda, ½ tsp

Black pepper, coarsely ground, 1 tsp

Salted butter, 1/2 cup, cold and cut into cubes (I always prefer using salted butter in whatever I bake. If using unsalted butter then add salt to taste)

Shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup

Buttermilk, cold, 1/2 cup (or whole milk or heavy whipping cream, which will make it richer)

Egg, 1

Smoked paprika powder, ½ + ½ tsp

Butter, 1 tablespoon, melted



 HOW TO:


Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda (add salt, if not using salted butter) in a large mixing bowl. Add the crushed pepper and mix roughly with hands.


Using fingers rub butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse mix. Remember to use butter right out of the refrigerator; I cut mine into cubes and stored it in refrigerator until I used it.


Now add the grated cheddar cheese and mix well, taking care to rub in large pieces, if any.


Mix the egg and ½ tsp of paprika powder with buttermilk. Pour the mix into the flour and bring everything together using a wooden spoon. Now transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it well; it is alright if the dough is not smooth and has cracks on it.


Divide the dough into two parts and slightly flatten each to make a circle of 1 inch thickness. Now slice each of these dough parts into 8 slices.


Preheat oven to 220 degree Celsius. Line a baking tray with butter paper or aluminium foil.


Melt a tablespoon of butter and mix in ½ tsp of paprika powder. Apply this glaze over the arranged slices and pop it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the sides turn golden. Once done, remove and cool on wire rack.




Enjoy with leftover paprika butter over it or just as I’m planning to serve it for breakfast tomorrow. Bon appetite! 

Comments

Popular Posts