How About Snacking The Italian Way? Biscotti Anyone?


Did you know biscotti meant twice baked? I never did, until I actually baked it. And when I did, I so fell head over heels for these toasted beauties!


I’ve never had it before, but I always wanted to taste it and I baked it for the first time ever last week… yeah! Going by the recipe I followed then I slightly over baked it in the first go, which left a thin burnt bottom crust (which I removed when slicing) and sort of under baked it in the second go, which made it less crispier than it should have been. However, I could slice it beautifully and it still tasted good. I even packed a few slices in his snack box and ever since he has been asking, “aren’t you baking biscotti again?”



My folks left for home yesterday and that left me slightly moody and heavily lonely :( I shut myself in the house, worked late, ate idlys my mom made for breakfast all day long, made a batch of malai kulfi and around late in the evening when I was still walking around not knowing what to do, I planned to bake something. They say baking is a real stress buster, but I say, baking is also a great mood enhancer!  La…la…la


So that’s how I ended up baking this chocolate biscotti yesterday night! And yes, this time I nailed it. I reduced the first baking time by 5-7 minutes, which meant a perfectly browned crust and I increased the second baking time by 5-8 minutes, which meant a perfectly crispy and crunchy biscotti! Obviously, he grabbed a piece right out of the oven, made sure a few went into his snack box, had a piece after his breakfast before he left for office and the rest, I happily managed to finish myself. There ends another biscotti story!



Until next time, here’s the recipe, if you wish to give it a try.

Simple Chocolate Biscotti Recipe


YOU NEED:


Eggs, 2 large, room temperature

Sugar, ½ cup (we like it less sweet, otherwise you can add about ¾ cup)

Vanilla essence, 1 tsp

All-purpose flour, 1 cup

Cocoa powder, 4 tbsp, unsweetened

Baking soda, ½ tsp

Walnuts, ½ cup, optional (last time I used it, this time I couldn’t find it)



HOW TO:


Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.


Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda; mix with a fork and keep aside.


In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla essence at medium speed, for about 3-4 minutes or until well combined.


Gradually add in the flour and mix at low speed, until well incorporated. If you feel the dough is too sticky (it will be sticky though), add about ¼ cup of flour to adjust consistency.


Now, line a baking tray with butter paper or greased aluminium foil, and transfer the dough to the tray. It’s not going to be so easy, so sprinkle some flour over the dough so that it is easy to handle.


Now shape the dough in the length of the baking tray, slightly pressing it down to form a rectangle. You can use egg wash now, I skipped that. Sprinkle a little sugar over it. Pop it in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.


Once done, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely.


Now slice it, arrange in the same sheet and once again pop it in the oven for 10-13 minutes at 180 degree Celsius. I baked in the lower rack, and if you are baking in the middle one, do check it in between.


Dunk the biscotti in your favourite hot beverage and enjoy! They are just as yummy when eaten plain.

Comments

Popular Posts