Green Apples Galore And How About Green Apple Sorbet?


Days have been busy and hectic since mid August and I haven’t been able to indulge in experimental cooking much. Well, to be frank, I have forgotten the last day I entered the kitchen to cook something elaborate; these are the little perks of having both side parents visiting back to back. This is going to continue till end of October and I refuse to even think, how I’m going to manage getting back to routine after that!


In the meanwhile, there’s no sign of winter here and it seems like fall season is still holding strong. Once again the fruit basket is overflowing with apples and this time it is green apples. Yes, we do enjoy fresh fruits, but not more than one or two a day. So what else to do with these apples? He doesn’t fancy apple cake or apple crumble and neither do I. So a couple of days back when during my usual browsing, I came across sorbets.  Then I thought, when the hint of summer still lingers, why not try something “cool”!




Every mango season that passes by, I promise him sorbet, but the truth is that I was never able to keep it… Well, I do feel guilty! So, when I told him about this Green Apple Sorbet, he sounded equally excited (as if he was being offered mango sorbet) and then I thought, it’s high time I kept my promise too. 


Mom, on the other hand, was quite curious about the idea of something like ice cream without milk or cream. To tell you the truth, even I was, until I took the first taste testing, after I sieved the purred apple and sugar syrup together. Perfectly sweet, slightly tangy and totally apple-y… oh boy, I was overjoyed!


It's such an easy peasy dessert that tastes just as awesome as ice cream, yet healthier in comparison and versatile enough to add flavours of your choice. 



When this Green Apple Sorbet is sure to knock us back, here's a simple recipe you could save!


YOU NEED


Green apples, 4, large

Lemon, 1, juiced

Sugar, 180-200 grams

Water, 1 cup (equal portion as sugar)

Vanilla essence, ½ tsp


HOW TO


Roughly cut and core the apples with skin on. 


In a freezable plastic container, put the apples, pour lemon juice over, mix well, cover and store in the freezer for a couple of hours.


In the meanwhile, prepare the sugar syrup. In a sauce pan melt sugar in water on low heat. Stirring occasionally, bring the mix to boil and cook for another 5-10 minutes on medium-high heat. Let this cool down.


Now, put the frozen apples into a blender along with one third of the sugar syrup and puree it well. Push the puree through a sieve along with the left over syrup, leaving the skin pulp behind.


Transfer it to the old container and freeze it for another couple of hours.
Take the mixture out and mix it in the blender again. Transfer to the container and freeze it. Continue doing this every couple of hours for 2-3 times. This will make the mix soft and stop forming chunky crystals.


If you have ice cream maker (well, I envy you, if you have one), you could put the puree in it and freeze, while the machine churns it.

Comments

Popular Posts